Fifteenth Sunday of Pentecost
Jesus Invites Everyone to the Table
Luke 14: 1, 7 - 14
The fellowship of the table was very important to Jesus - we have many accounts of the people who invited him to their houses for special meals.
Here Jesus tells a parable about what happens when you are invited to a feast, and he also gives us instructions about whom we should invite to feast with us.
This is a good day to talk about the special feast Jesus invites us to, the Sacrament of Holy Communion, and to sing Now the Feast and Celebration (WOV 789).
1. On which day was Jesus invited to dinner?
[Jesus was invited to dinner on the Sabbath day.]
2. Which place did Jesus tell the disciples to choose at the table?
[Jesus told them to choose the humblest place, so they might have the honor of being asked to move to a better seat.]
3. Who did Jesus tell the disciples not to invite to dinner?
[Jesus told them not to invite their friends, their relatives, or their rich neighbors.]
4. Who did he tell them to invite instead?
[Jesus told them to invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind.]
5. Was Jesus also speaking to us when he spoke to the disciples?
[We believe that we are also disciples or followers of
Jesus, and that the words he spoke to them, he speaks also to us.]
Calendar | HomePage | References and Resources | Pentecost 14 Lesson | Pentecost 13 Art