Confirmation Instruction Lesson 11
Joseph Dreams in Captivity
Joseph was the son of Jacob, the grandson of Isaac, and the great-grandson of Abraham.
He led a long and interesting life, which is told in several parts in the book of Genesis:
1. The Beautiful Coat, Genesis 37: 1 - 4
2. Joseph Is Sold by His Brothers into Slavery, Genesis 37: 5 - 36
3. Joseph Interprets Dreams, Genesis 39: 19 - 41
4. Joseph Manages Pharaoh's Grain Harvest, Genesis 41: 1 - 49
5. Joseph is Reunited with His Brothers, Genesis 45: 4 - 10
6. Joseph Forgives His Brothers, Genesis 50: 15 - 21
The descendants of Jacob lived in Egypt until the time of Moses, when the Israelites were under the rule of a Pharaoh "who did not know Joseph."
1. How did Joseph receive information from God?
[God spoke to Joseph through dreams.]
2. How did Joseph's brothers feel about him?
[Joseph's brothers were jealous, because he was the favorite son of their father, Jacob.]
3. Did all of Joseph's brothers treat him the same way?
[ No. Some of his brothers wanted to kill him, but the others kept him alive by selling him to slave traders.]
4. Did Joseph treat his brothers the way that they treated him?
[No, Joseph was kind to the brothers who had treated him badly, forgiving them for what they had done to him.]
A Note to Parents and Teachers | Confirmation HomePage | References and Resources | Sunday School Lessons HomePage | Out of Egypt (a play about Moses and the Ten Plagues) | People | Confirmation Instruction Overview | Herod