The Fourth Sunday in Advent
Jesus Is Born, and Our Wonderful Story Begins
Matthew 1: 18 - 25
Matthew tells the story of Jesus' birth and family centering on Joseph, instead of on Mary and her family, as Luke does.
As we follow the gospel of Matthew through this year, we will become very aware of Matthew's use of Old Testament verses to make his point. Matthew's reference in verse 22 is to Isaiah 7: 14.
1. Whose family did Joseph belong to?
[Joseph was descended from King David.]
2. Even though they were engaged, did Joseph plan to marry Mary?
[No; when Joseph found out that Mary was pregnant, he decided to send her away.]
2. Why did Joseph decide to marry Mary after all?
[An angel appeared to Joseph in a dream, and told him to marry her.]
3. What did the angel tell Joseph to name the baby?
[The angel told Joseph to name the baby Jesus.]
4. What did Joseph name the baby?
[Joseph named the baby Jesus, just like the angel told him to do.]
HomePage | Calendar | Advent 4 Art | Christmas 1 Lesson